October 03, 2024

Crusaders - Standing Tall (1981)

posted by all-musicrecords

The peak of the group's commercial success came with 1979's Street Life, with Randy Crawford as featured singer.  
Later albums by the group featured singers Bill Withers and Joe Cocker.
Standing Tall is an album by the jazz group the Crusaders, their third studio album with MCA Records
It features singer Joe Cocker as guest artist on two tracks: the 1981 Grammy-nominated song "I'm So Glad I'm Standing Here Today" and "This Old World's Too Funky for Me".
This is their best if not the best ever band release, the Joe Cocker vocal contribution is phenomenal, my Favorite Crusaders album of all time.
It is a unique jazz album, all tacks are great, meticulously arranged, played and produced, five stars no doubt, no need to do any musical analysis or using fancy words or jargons, simply good music.
Production is great, solid funk record, if you're a fan of Joe Sample's key work you'll love this album. 
Plenty of funky Fender Rhodes, Clavinet, and B3. Overall great easy listening, I recently rediscovered this album in my collection and I think it makes great Saturday morning coffee music.


Track listing
  1. "Standing Tall"  (Stix Hooper) - 6:46
  2. "I'm So Glad I'm Standing Here Today"  (Joe Sample, Will Jennings) - 5:02
  3. "Sunshine in Your Eyes"  (Sample) - 6:11
  4. "This Old World's Too Funky For Me"  (Sample, Jennings) - 5:25
  5. "Luckenbach, Texas (Back to the Basics of Love)"  (Chips MomanBobby Emmons) - 4:23
  6. "The Longest Night" (Sample) - 6:24
  7. "Reprise (I'm So Glad I'm Standing Here Today)  (Instrumental)"  (Sample. Jennings) - 2:59

Companies, etc.

Credits

Notes
Released: 1981
Genre:  Smooth Jazz, Soul
Runtime:  35:42
Producer(s):  Wilton Felder, Stix Hooper, Joe Sample

Label - MCA Records

0 comments:

Post a Comment